Good People

June 23, 2008

In the midst of all the constant exposure to the over-commercialization of the wedding industry, the idea of people being like vultures, ready to strip us of all our money has settled in the back of my mind. I've lost sight of the fact that there are good people in this world.

These thoughts paralyze me. I am paranoid of every question asked of me. Are they trying to say something else? Does each coffee date have a hidden agenda?

But over the past few days, I have been graced with the presence of a few people who have reminded me that there are good people in the world.

The first was a perfect stranger. I had "met" her on the internet and we had agreed to meet up so I could see, and possibly buy a flower girl dress. On a trip from Thunder Bay, she agreed to meet up in Toronto at her hotel to save me shipping costs. Then, she welcomed all five of us into her hotel room so the flower girl could try the dress on in front of a full length mirror. And let's just say our stay wasn't exactly the shortest, but she was patient with us anyway.

The second was the flower girl's mom. She is just an amazing person who finds joy in everything. Seriously. We decided to have a play date for Nathan and our flower girl and met up at a park near our home. From the second we got there, she couldn't stop saying good things about the park. And it's only a park!

And the third (this is when my senses kicked in), was one of my bridesmaids. She asked me out on a coffee date and all I could think of was that maybe she had something she wanted to talk about. I fired question after question, trying to find out what exactly she wanted to get together for. In the end, she assured me that I was just paranoid and there was no need for me to mentally prepare myself. It was simply a coffee date to catch up.

Am I the only one who had so little faith in the human race?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails