Chicken... Wings

July 3, 2009

A lot of my friends have asked me, "What's it like being married?" and I usually jokingly answer, "Not much, I just have to cook a lot more".

But it's sort of true. Now, when I make food, I have to make enough for 3 hungry, hungry hippos. And the quality of the food has to be a little.. well, better now because "I'm just a busy and poor university student" is no longer a valid excuse (although I am still in school and even more busy than ever, but anyway...).

So the other day I took a pack of chicken wings out of the freezer. I had bought it a little while ago not really knowing what I'd do with it, but knowing that I definitely like chicken wings.

It was getting close to dinner time and I still had nothing cooked so I quickly scoured the internet for chicken wing recipes. Anything that looked remotely good required deep frying (sorry, arteries) but as you may or may not know, I'm deathly afraid of hot oil popping in my face.

I've gotten better with it over the years. You don't even want to know what went down the first time I fried bacon. I looked a little something like this:


I'm proud to say I can do bacon now, no problem, but deep frying is a whole other issue.

Anyway, Andrew was busy studying so I tried really hard not to disturb him. I sucked it up and decided to go ahead and try deep frying by myself.

I quickly prepared the chicken and heated a deep pot full of oil. I put the first batch of chicken in and... chickened out. After a minute or two of me saying crying, "I can't do it! I can't get them out!", Andrew came to my rescue, or should I say, the chicken's rescue.

If only I had gotten to them earlier! *sob* I could have saved them!

I covered those burnt babies in glaze anyway. Andrew said they tasted good, but I think he was just saying that.

He helped me out with the rest of them, which is clearly evidence that those first three didn't taste good and he just wanted to make sure the rest of our dinner didn't end up the same way.

The rest of them turned out like this:


And got bathed in the honey sauce like this:

Finger lickin' good.

Step aside, Sanders, there's a new Colonel in town!

2 comments:

Andrew said...

that first picture makes me laugh

S2jay said...

if i recall correctly.. the first time WE made bacon.. we had ski masks, oven mitts and scarves on..

OH and an apron to protect our clothing!! HAHAH

good times..

Related Posts with Thumbnails