Bacon and Cookies

December 20, 2009

It's been a while since I've had to cook or bake something for a potluck. I can't even remember the last time. But the young adults group at our church had a Christmas potluck last night so it was time for me to whip something up.

When we were deciding who was making what, we were originally thinking of buying dessert. But I thought, why buy dessert when I can make something? Surely I can make something to satisfy everyone's sweet tooths? teeth? Sweet teeth.

The longer I thought, the more indecisive I became. What if the one thing I made couldn't satisfy everyone? So I had a plan. I'd make a variety of desserts! So yesterday morning, I started baking. And by the afternoon, I had lemon bars, a pumpkin cheesecake and some Christmas-y cookies to share with everyone!


It's been so long I almost forgot how much I love baking (and how much I hate doing the dishes after... especially when our kitchen sink is out of commission. Again.)

I was also put in charge of potatoes. Apparently the idea was to have meat, vegetables and potatoes. Now, growing up, we never did that sort of meal at home. It was a more traditional Chinese meal with rice and the "soong". (I don't even know how to translate that into English. It's basically the meat and vegetables that accompany the rice.)


Anyway, so I don't really have a lot of experience cooking potatoes. Nor have I even been really motivated to experiment with them. Most of the time when we buy a 10lb. bag, about 8lbs. of it goes into the garbage. (Really bad, I know).

Luckily, I learned how to make mashed potatoes last week while helping out the hospitality team prepare for our church Christmas lunch. So that's what I made. Except, I wasn't sure if it was "good" enough. So I needed to kick things up a notch, jazz up the boring potatoes if you will. Our potatoes came with bacon bits, cheese and sour cream for the potluckers to add on.


At the end of the night, all the guys were so stuffed they could barely move, and the ladies, well we were just too polite to advertise it ;)

The holiday feasting has officially begun!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails