Learning to Sew

March 18, 2011

I've been itching to sew since last year, when I wrote my 101 in 1001.

I had dreams of sewing all sorts of awesome (and useful) things for myself and our home. And when Caleb came along, I had dreams of making my own baby blankets and bibs. Then, I figured being unemployed here in Australia might be a great time to learn. Somehow, some (sorely misinformed) people convinced me that I would have a lot of time on my hands with nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs.

Then reality came along to set me straight.

When exactly was I going to learn and actually do all this amazing sewing (plus all the prep work that's involved)? This mama doesn't have a lot of time on her hands. How, exactly, was I going to sew these amazing things without a sewing machine? I know hand-stitching is an option but like I said, this mama doesn't have a lot of time on her hands.

Reluctantly, I put that dream on the back burner. It was a really tough decision and I really struggled with it. But taking care of my family comes first and my dreams can be realized later. There's no point in buying all the material and letting it collect dust because I don't have time to work on it, right? Besides, I already tried that approach with paper crafting. So I let it go.

That was a month ago.

For a month, I held myself back from buying anything, and for a month, I read up on sewing as much as I could. Then, yesterday, I couldn't hold myself back any longer. Even if I couldn't make some awesome blankets, bibs or bags, I had to do something with my hands.

So after dropping Nathan off at school, I went and bought some felt but haven't really decided what I'm going to do with it... yet.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails